Summary of QualificationsI am a local government manager who has managed budgets ranging in size from $2.0 million to $120 million for jurisdictions with populations ranging from 1,200 to 150,000 and staff sizes ranging from 25 to over 660. I enjoy working with governing bodies and staff to provide truly exceptional service to the public while being fiscally prudent and transparent about how an agency operates.
After spending my career rounding out my background, I am hoping to return to a local government position.
Director of Finance and OperationsInter-Faith Council for Social Service, Inc., Carrboro, NC
2016 - present
Inter-Faith Council for Social Service is a $2.0 million non-profit agency that operates two homeless shelters, a food kitchen, food pantry, and other programs to meet basic human needs for vulnerable members of the community. I was hired to an agency in a state of disarray due to an absentee finance director and mounting annual deficits.
- I crafted an annual budget that was balanced for FY2017-2018 that incorporates basic concepts like funds and cost centers that were previously missing.
- I assisted staff with implementation of a HUD funded permanent supportive housing program that had shuffled around to several other local agencies who were unable to manage the program.
Vice President for Finance and AdministrationBennett College, Greensboro, NC
Bennett College is a small, non-profit historically black university with a $17.0 million annual budget. I was hired to lead the administration functions of the campus after the retirement of the incumbent while a search was underway for a successor.
- I improved the communication protocols for financial and budgetary information prompting the president to note she had received more and better information without constantly asking for it.
- I completed the annual $17 million budget process obtaining approval from the Board of Trustees that had been deadlocked.
- I managed the procurement processes for a food services contract and investment advisory services.
Chief Financial OfficerDurham Housing Authority, Durham, NC
2007 - 2016
The Durham Housing Authority is a special unit of government operating the public housing, low income housing, and Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) programs in Durham. The Authority houses approximately 11,000 individuals in 1,800 housing units and manages almost 3,000 vouchers. I was hired to the CFO position after HUD audits revealed problems, in particular in the procurement function, to manage the $40 million annual budget.
- During my tenure I reduced staffing levels by 50% while maintaining service levels provided to users and customers.
- I revised and updated the policies and procedures regarding the procurement systems to ensure compliance with HUD regulations.
- Faced with over $7.0 million in sanctions from OIG audits, I produced analysis and negotiated with HUD personnel to reduce the liability to $3.6 million and established a long term repayment plan to minimize operational impact.
- I worked with vendors and staff to implement and deploy several technology projects like a balanced scorecard software package and a voice-over-IP phone system.
- I obtained the first ever GFOA Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the Authority.
PresidentStrategic Innovations, Inc, Graham, NC
2005 – 2007
I started and operated a small consulting business serving clients in the nonprofit sector. I focused on providing strategy development, financial management, policy and procedure development, and accounting services.
- I helped a local partnership for children serving pre-K children develop annual budgets, policies and procedures for financial management functions.
- I assisted a local United Way agency develop an assessment tool for funding requests received.
Assistant County ManagerAlamance County, Graham, NC
1998 – 2005
Alamance County is one of the top 10 largest counties in North Carolina located on a major Interstate corridor with a population of approximately 150,000 citizens. The county government had an annual budget of up to $120 million and over 660 employees. I was hired an as assistant county manager with primary responsibility to serve as the finance officer.
- I implemented a new billing/collections system for EMS services that increased annual revenue from $1.4 million to $2.0 million.
- I encouraged the library director to pursue, successfully, a customer service award from the local media.
- I developed models and tools like an IT strategy for the county government and a capital improvement assessment process that was cited as a model system in a textbook from the UNC School of Government.
- I managed the issuance, including all collaboration with the Local Government Commission, financial analysts, bond counsel and underwriters, for $25 million of general obligation bonds.
Town ManagerTown of Spencer, Spencer, NC
The Town of Spencer provides a full array of municipal services including economic development, police protection, zoning, planning, library, volunteer fire protection, street maintenance, sanitation, water and sewer utilities, and economic development. The Town had an annual budget of approximately $12 million, over 40 employees and a citizen population of 3,200.
- I initiated a project to expand water and sewer infrastructure encouraging new economic development, including successful navigation of legal, financing and annexation issues.
- I obtained the first ever GFOA Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the Town.
- I revamped the planning and zoning department to implement a new code enforcement function.
Town AdministratorTown of Richlands, Richlands, NC
The Town of Richlands provided municipal services including police protection, zoning, planning, water and sewer utilities, street maintenance, sanitation services, and economic development. Richlands had a population of 1,200, an annual budget of $2.5 million and 25 employees.
- I managed the completion of construction of a new wastewater treatment plant.