What? More productivity tips?



Time for more productivity tips! You know it is one of my favorite subjects and an area where I enjoy experimenting, so it should be no surprise that I came across an article (7 Steps To Getting Unstuck And Becoming More Productive) with some ideas to help improve your productivity. This is a list of seven suggestions from Michael Hyatt. I've tried a few of these and others I think I've incorporated or tried in some way or another if not as explicitly. In any case, I added a few of my own comments and thoughts.

  1. To-Do lists. Well duh. Pick a method you like to use and start working it. I've been a big fan of GTD for years and although I'm currently not practicing it directly, most of GTD is still part of my workflow. I use a modified type of context (contexts is the part of GTD that I find most difficult in this day and age when everything seems interconnected vs when GTD was first developed) and still do things like practice the 2-minute rule. Of note from Hyatt's article though is picking three action items to be completed each day. That is something I like to incorporate as it helps me focus on those "frogs" that need to be eaten. My own little wrinkle though is that I do this at the week level by identifying five key actions to be accomplished in any given week.
  2. Use some music. If you haven't heard, there is a whole body of research out there about the impact of music or other sounds or noise on focus and productivity. Hyatt talks about Focus@Will, a service I used when it was in beta. I also really like Noisli, which focuses on sounds - I especially liked being able to combine rain and storm sounds with others. Music can serve the same purpose and I lean towards classical music, but try to find what works for you.
  3. Get off the social media websites. Hyatt actually includes email on his list even though it probably would not be considered a social media platform. The main point is to eliminate distractions. I have not resorted to using any of the blockers like he mentions or that I see others recommend, but I may have to test some as this can definitely be a drain.
  4. Don't multitask. Just this afternoon I was doing some focused work on one thing and it felt so good to get into that zone instead of the usual status of jumping around between different tasks. Of course, the ability to do this can be a challenge depending on the nature of your work and position. For example, when in my office my open door policy means I have to be ready for interruptions.
  5. Batches and batches. Batching means grouping similar tasks together and working on them as a single unit. Think of the recommendations about combining errands into a single trip so you save gas. It is the same thing with your tasks - group similar tasks so that you save time ramping up a given tool. For instance, if you are going to work on processing and responding to emails, go ahead and do all that needs to be done - don't throw a phone call in the mix or try to draft up a memo.
  6. Nap time? I don't know that I'll ever be in a position where I could do this, but taking breaks can be an effective tool to boost productivity. Hyatt mentions the Pomodoro technique, which is something I've used and I do find it to be effective. You can go low tech with an analog timer or check out the plethora of apps for your smartphone or desktop that can handle this.
  7. Cycling through the day. No, not on a bicycle. Instead of treating the day as one long 8- or 10-hour block,  treat it as a bunch of smaller blocks. Experiment to see just how long is effective for you before you start over.

I hope some of these tips may help you if you are struggling with your productivity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - A Whack on the Side of the Head

Spreading the Load

The Perils of Collaboration