Google for Work gets a corporate makeover of sorts

Not sure how many people may have noticed this, but Google rebranded their office suite last week and added in a few new features. In this article and some of the comments, I find it interesting to see the take on G Suite vs MS Office. I've used/use both. For most everything I do at home, I use the Google apps. I do maintain a copy of MS Office on my computer for emergency purposes, but I've only had to use it a couple times in the past 6 months. That said, if I were doing some of the more advanced formatting stuff for financial reporting purposes, I'd probably be using MS Office a lot more as that is the area where Google falls behind in my opinion. On the flip side, the collaboration capabilities of the Google apps are much better.


Perhaps more interesting than my own use is one of Google's apps or MS Office is what is going on with my daughters. Their school is heavily into the Google for Education platform so the teachers use Gmail and Drive for a lot of communication and assignments. So much so that I was able to invest in a couple good Chromebooks this past year for both of them to use for their school work. Thus far we have not run into any issues where they had to go back and use either my Macbook or one of the Windows laptops we have available. I was even impressed with how easy it was to get the Google Cloud Print up and running so they can print to the inkjet printer (although the initial setup of the printer itself was not the easiest).


What I'd really like to do is start testing the Google Apps/G Suite in an enterprise environment to see if we could actually replace MS Office.


Google Work Apps Gain New Powers, But Microsoft Still Rules

This week, Google retooled Google Apps for Work, signaling the company's ever-deepening interest in the enterprise market. It makes sense: the opportunities for growth are enormous, as is the competition. Apple continues to leverage its partnership with IBM to muscle its way in. Facebook will reportedly soon launch its business-focused Facebook at Work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - A Whack on the Side of the Head

Spreading the Load

The Perils of Collaboration